Hey Internet Fitness Tribe! I thought I’d publish a quick post with a favorite recipe I created for Sunday meal prep (a healthy broccoli chicken casserole) because it was so easy and yummy it needs to be documented.
I love love love how easy and delicious casseroles turn out and they leave a lot of room for experimenting… hard to mess up!
I’m thinking every Sunday should be healthy casserole day, thoughts?
Healthy Broccoli Chicken Casserole Ingredients:
- 16oz bag of frozen broccoli
- 1lb of chicken (frozen or fresh, we will cook and shred)
- 1C of plain greek yogurt (I prefer to get full fat for the nutrients but you could swap for non fat)
- 8oz can of water chestnuts (I did one batch without and it still turns out great but I like the extra crunch!)
- 1 small diced onion (optional, I liked with or without)
- 2C cooked wild rice
- 3/4C shredded cheese
I don’t usually worry about measuring out my seasonings, use the below measurements as a guide and apply to your own taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2T or 1T Garlic Powder
- 1T Thyme
- 1T Dried Onion Flakes (If not doing grilled onion above you should definitely use this)
Precook oven to 375
1.) Fully cook the wild rice… This can be the most tedious, the good stuff takes 50 minutes so I like to have a huge pot cooked up early in the week to have ready for recipes.
2.) Cook the chicken – It sounds weird, but I like to boil the chicken. It’s fast and mindless. This makes it really easy to shred the chicken afterward using two forks. The chicken turns out really moist and the casserole yummy-ness seasons it later.
3.) Grill the onions if you chose to have those in your casserole
4.) Steam the frozen broccoli (I do this on the same pot of water that the chicken is boiling in).
5.) Drain the water chesnuts
6.) Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl (leaving a small amount of cheese out for topping)
7.) Top with remaining cheese and pop in the oven for 20 minutes!
Serves 4-6 depending on your serving sizes (my husband and I usually get 5 out of this).
Enjoy the easy creamy healthy broccoli chicken casserole!
<3 Your Internet Fitness Girl